Happy Tuesday everyone! I wanted to share what I spoke about at the Chamber Membership Meeting on June 12th since I covered so much information and want you to stay caught up on what is going on. We will try to hold these meetings quarterly to give you updates and to have a great speaker to give you extra, valuable information. Our speaker at this meeting was Jessica Daniels, an account executive and our area specialist for the Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department. She shared tidbits on the free tools available to you through the TravelOK website and spoke a bit about their printed publications. I can connect you to her if you would like to learn more. Here is my update:
Chamber Membership Meeting
June 12, 2018
Looking at the survey sent out in May
Chamber Events/Way to get involved
- Chamber Banquet
- Independence Day Celebration
- Legislative Luncheons
- Christmas Activities
- Women’s Biz
- Pups on Parade
- SBA/Tax Commission Workshops
- Blue River Trout Derbys
- Shop Small Saturday
- Ribbon Cuttings
- Board Meetings
You are welcome to serve on committees or give ideas for new workshops or things to do. I would like to do an empty building tour and a job fair/business expo eventually.
- Email, e-newsletter, social media and the newspaper column are the quickest ways to get things to the most amount of people but I can look into text alerts.
What do you believe the mission of the Chamber is?
- Most said promoting members, supporting economic growth, providing direction and leadership for the county, etc.
- Our official mission: “The mission of the Johnston County Chamber of Commerce is to promote and advance business, industrial and civic interest in Johnston County.”
- This mission is simple and very broad. Our activities are broken down into issues that each committee of the board can tackle over time. The Chamber is tasked with the recruitment of skilled workforce, assisting the JCIA and city with recruiting businesses, conducting events like Women’s Biz and maximizing member benefits, coordinating legislative functions, enhancing and updating the Chamber website for the use of members, citizens and guests to the area, supporting programs that result in improving the overall health of citizens, providing educational programs and seminars, and supporting shop local efforts.
Why did you join the Chamber?
- You said, to support the Chamber’s mission, to have your business promoted, for networking, and to serve the community.
- These are all great things and I would encourage you to make the most of your membership by communicating your needs to me. Let me know when you have a promotion or when you’re hiring. If I can’t help you then I probably know someone that can and I’m here as a resource for you.
Why do you visit the website?
- Most said the events calendar or to read Chamber news
- The website has a lot of great information
- Plan a Visit page
- Some historical information about the area
- Resource links for attractions, education, local, state and federal government, demographic info and maps
- Employment page
- Economic Development page
- Submission form for calendar and Memo For Your Morning
- Marketing online, Chamber newspaper column, the e-newsletter and brochures – these come with your membership – you pay nothing extra
- Sponsorship opportunities and donations– these are paid ways to get attention offered through the Chamber at our events
- You can become a corporate member to have this included in membership
- Referrals – I only refer members – on rare occasion do I give out other info and only when there are no other options
- Hub of communication for the county – we are a resource
- Access to the Chamber mailing list
- Networking opportunities
- Reduced rates on events that we host – Chamber banquet member and non-member rates, working on doing this with other things
- Liaison between local businesses and regional and state entities
- New – short video about your business posted on the Chamber page, YouTube channel and given to you for your own use
- Open to suggestions for new benefits
Some things you have requested of us:
- More workshops and tips for businesses – can do
- Change up events and make them slightly different each year – can do
- Less soliciting of product donations – can do, I think the only times we do this is the Chamber Banquet and then smaller things like the scavenger hunt for national tourism week, sometimes for prizes, but when we do, it is always in a way that promotes your business, you are recognized for it and it gets your product in front of people.
- Direct recruitment of businesses to Johnston County – can do
- To many non-business board members – these people are elected by the membership or are appointed when a vacancy comes available
- Board is currently made up of Tammy Parish (president), Donovan Stowe (vice-president), Michaelle Gray (sec/treas), Scott Clark, Melissa Ferguson, Sam Holt, Woody Jumper, Randy McCollom, Joyce Stowers, Kelcey Upton, and Sarah Warden
- They have a wealth of knowledge and are another great resource
What the Chamber is working on!
- Ribbon cutting at Encore Mechanical on Friday, June 15 at 4PM
- OHAI Trap Shoot on Saturday, June 16
- Legislative Luncheon next Monday, June 18th – MSC at noon
- Hear about results of grant application to AARP for Governor’s Plaza June 25
- Red, White and Boom – June 30
- Fall Festival the end of October
- Chickasaw Country guide ads – July 13 they need to know you want one
- Meeting today w/ Sulphur and Davis to work together regionally
- Working to get our Ambassador Program off the ground
- Reaching out to all communities for those that would like to get involved, visit businesses, attend functions, etc.
- Delores Muse is executive ambassador
- Junior Chamber program for high school students
- Visitor Guides – recently attended the Artesian Arts Festival and look forward to attending more trade/tourism roadshows
- Recently adopted a multiple business policy – pay one membership, next is half off
- Adopt a Trail
- Raising the trail with granite donated by Blessing Gravel, laying railroad ties on either side for better definition, donated by Martin Marietta Materials, planting flower beds for pollinators with plants from the Refuge and INCA
Quality of Life
- Red, White and Boom Celebration
- Vendors, games and parade entries needed
- Chamber is doing the concession stand this year – all donations appreciated
- Sponsorships available
- JC Sentinel special section will go out to all JOCO residents – ads available
- Fall Festival
- Chickasaw Capitol area booked for events. Also looking at a barrel race, poker run, dance, food trucks, etc.
- Keep this in the back of your mind – Whoville theme on Main?
- Attending Oklahoma Southeast events and making contacts
- Recently recruited a retail developer and there is a deal in place, we’re just waiting on word from prospective tenants
- Webpage online, features available buildings and lots, demographics, etc.
- Build Your Business With Us brochure
- Attending Oklahoma Southeast events and making contacts
I serve each of these committees and carry out the day-to-day operations of the Chamber. Our website was viewed 1,218 times in the last month, it really is impactful for our community. We utilize Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google Plus, LinkedIn, and to a lesser extent, YouTube. Are there any questions?