Silver+ Spotlight posts are to spotlight our members who go above and beyond to contribute to the work of the chamber through membership and sponsorships. Silver+ members make an annual investment of $500 or more. Thank you for learning more about them below!
The AmeriState Bank, formerly known as Atoka State Bank, was organized in 1906. The charter of operation was granted and dated August 16, 1906, which was before Statehood. The application was made in Federal Court at Fort Smith, Arkansas because, at the time, Atoka was located in Indian Territory, and the application came under the jurisdiction of the Federal Courts located there.
When the new charter was granted, the officers of the Atoka State Bank were President T.F. Memminger and Vice President John Ray. Construction of the new bank building began in 1905, which was overseen by the building owners: John Ray, S.B. Scratch, T.F. Memminger, and A. S. Burrows. After its completion in 1906, the Atoka State Bank opened for business at its first location on the northwest corner of East Court and Ohio streets. It operated there until 1927, when the Oklahoma State Bank building on the south side of Court Street was purchased. The bank remained at that site until 1964, when it moved to its current facility.
From its inception until 1929, the leadership of the Atoka State Bank remained in the Memminger and Ray families, when it was sold to Hugh Halsell. In November of 1940, the bank was purchased by C.C. Stephens of Walters, Oklahoma, who moved to Atoka to become President. He retained the position until 1958, when C.A. McCall was elected President. Stephens remained Chairman of the Board until 1967, when his interest was sold to Mr. C.A. McCall, who had moved to Atoka in 1933 to begin working for the bank. Mr. C.A. “Barney” McCall passed away on November 27, 2002. His son Charles A. McCall assumed the positions of President and Chief Executive Officer from 1981 until 2006. Charles McCall III is the current bank Chief Executive Officer, Clay McCall is President, and Charles McCall, Sr. is Executive Vice President.
After a change in the Oklahoma State Branch Banking Laws, the bank changed its name to AmeriState Bank on May 30, 2001 so that it could be more competitive in other financial markets.
AmeriState Bank has experienced continuous growth since its inception in 1906. In June of 2001, AmeriState Bank opened its doors in Antlers, Oklahoma in Pushmataha County, expanding our area of operations. Then in June of 2008, AmeriState Bank crossed the Red River and opened our North Texas branch in Sherman. The officers and employees find the slogan “A Bank That Friends Built” to be a proper description as many of its customers have remained loyal year after year, generation after generation. The bank’s expansion was made possible due to the constant support of its many friends and customers. Today, the bank has assets in excess of $200 million.
We look forward to another 100 years of service to our customers, in Atoka and Antlers, Oklahoma as well as Sherman, Texas.